Physiotherapy Rehabilitation in the Home
There are two main reasons why physiotherapy rehabilitation in the home has become so popular. The first, is the simple convenience of mobile physiotherapy delivered in the comfort of your own home without having to tackle traffic and parking.The second is because home-based rehabilitation really works!
Rehabilitation takes hard work and requires a lot of practice. The environment around us can affect how easy or difficult it is to practice, practice, practice! Clinic based physiotherapy is important when extra space or specialised equipment is required, and some people prefer to attend a consultation room.
Home-based physiotherapy allows you to take what you have learnt in hospital or clinic and gain real life experience with guidance from an experienced physiotherapist. There are many therapeutic benefits to rehabilitation in the home for people with neurological conditions:
- Feeling more comfortable in a familiar environment will enhance performance
- Gain confidence to practice tasks that are the ‘just right challenge’ in your home environment
- Completing tasks in your own home will have greater meaning so will provide greater motivation
- Learning tasks in the same place that you will need to practice them will lead to greater practice and repetition
- Functional tasks such as how to get out of bed or negotiate steps can be tailoredto the exact environment where you need to perform them
Tailoring neurological physiotherapy to real-life is the focus of home visiting physiotherapy. Rehabilitation in your own home harnesses the principles of neuroplasticity because it can fuel the motivation to continue with the practice of meaningful tasks that are the ‘just right challenge’.