When a TBI occurs, the injury can range from a mild case (a brief change in mental status or consciousness) to a severe case (an extended period of unconsciousness or memory loss after the injury).
A TBI may impact the ability to concentrate, alter the senses (hearing, vision, smell, taste and touch), cause difficulty speaking, problems with balance and emotional and behavioral changes.
- Difficulty eating and speaking
- Degraded vision
- Loss of hearing and sense of touch
- Regression (return to childlike behavior)
- Disinhibition (inability to control impulsive behavior and emotions)
- Lack of attention and concentration
- Memory loss
- Lack of judgment
- Communication problems
- Lack of sleep can affect how quickly someone thinks.
- Loss of vision, hearing and sense of touch can affect how someone focuses and learns.
- Fatigue can make it difficult to move about efficiently and safely.
- Memory loss can make it difficult to communicate with others.
Slideshow: Neuro Stroke Rehabilitation
Stroke Rehabilitation Clinician Handbook – PDF
This online, interactive courseware for the study of neuroscience is provided by the Department of Neurobiology and Anatomy atThe University of Texas Medical School at Houston. The project is being developed under the direction of the Department Chair and Editor, John H. Byrne.
[VIDEO] Thi Chi for Rehabilitation
How TBI Affects Various Lobes of the Brain (Traumatic Brain Injury)
Today Eric explains the various lobes of the brain, how they function, what happens when they are damaged, and how they are affected by TBI (also known as traumatic brain injury, or acquired brain injury).
The different regions of the brain control various behaviors and bodily functions. So brain damage to any of the different areas of the brain will manifest different symptoms. This information is especially helpful to friends and family of brain injury survivors, as it may explain changes in their behavior, as well as provide insight as to what the injured person is going through.
[WIKIPEDIA] Occupational therapy
[VIDEO] 2. Brain Injury Basics and Anatomy of the Brain – Brain Injury 101
[VIDEO] 3. Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury, its Causes, Effects and Classifications – Brain Injury 101